19 September 2005

Ah...the smell of fermentation!

"Palatal-alveolar goodness."--[bénxa]

One of the many non-perks of walking up to campus is thus: stupid plum trees. I mean, somebody should do something about those plums. They're just left there. They get ripe, too ripe and then drop and sit there for quite some time. Enough so that they go bad. Bad enough to where I wouldn't be surprised if they started knocking over liquor stores. I think one of them threw a water bottle at me last fall. That was weird.

Yeah, so this morning walking up to campus I smelled that ever so egregious smell of plum in the process of fermentation. Some days my eyes start doing the twithing thing and my sinuses cease to function for several hours. It's kind of funky. I feel like I can stomp around the mess of fruit, bottle the "juice" and sell it for $1.95 a pint. Of course that would probably destroy my soul.

So the rottingness of anything in my opinion always has some sort of foul stench. Which brings me to some weird thought. Like taste buds, do we also have smell buds? Come to think of it, we probably have something like them but are not in the form of "buds". Maybe they're in the form of "pals"? I'm shutting up.

3 comments:

Ben said...

smell pals?

Stephie said...

So I know that feeling so well. Anytime you are up here you should walk by the Manwaring center at about nine or ten in the morning. That should kill some of you smell pals.

Krista said...

You know, if you catch those things before they fall off and stink up the south end of campus, they actually taste pretty good. I've decided they aren't toxic, either, by the way I'm not dead.

And we don't have taste buds. We have taste bugs. My little brother told me so many years ago, coming home from preschool. So maybe olfactory insects?