19 September 2006

The Ghost of Meals Present

"So the french said 'our language is so cool, we'll make more of it'"
--Jim Meaders


Language Arts

This is how it goes. Like many of you know, I can do a number on the spanish language or in other words; I am rather fluent in said language. Also, I work at the BCF where I have many opportunities to speak it. Adding, having worked awhile in the department store scene, I have lost a lot of respect towards the human public. I have recently come to the point that I do not like speaking spanish to those who can't speak english. I believe my words were "I will not patronize your inability to speak english". My reasoning is thus following: If you live in an area where the majority of the people speak a certain language, then one should at least try their darndest in to speak in said language. The United States, though not having an official language, has all of its more important documents in english. Hence, this is what we call official language de facto.

It seems to me sometimes [not always though] that these people seek out those who speak spanish for translation purposes so they don't have to speak english. And this is where I just want them to learn english. I'm thinking, it's their prerogitive to learn said english if they live here. My other thought is that I went to Mexico and I learned spanish, why can't you do the same for me?

I know that this isn't really all that fair. When it comes down to it, I can't tell the difference between a tourist and someone who has just moved here. I don't know how long some of these people have been here. I know that many of these people haven't had a formal education of a second language. Some haven't had the level of opportunities as others. I have my assumptions which is really draws me back I think. A co-worker pointed this out to me. A lot of people really, truly try. However, I think I'm still biased.

Culture

Minor discovery or realization. Language is a basis of a culture. What you say, how you say it and who you say it to greatly affects the actions, attitudes, emotions, motions, thinking and zeal of a community. Generalizations can be made at any level. Country, state, province, county, city, community, suburb, apartment complex even household. The general populace of a certain area can be very different from a block away. This is how people define themselves. A common language is developed throughout the community. This language is much more than spoken. It is what the community is. Thriving subcultures anywhere in the world. Formed and dissimilated everyday. Some lasting for years and others only for days. Some people wanting to change theirs. Others never wanting to leave the one that's left them. The evolution of language. The evolution of culture.

We basically know what we want. We find ways to make things happen. Will do whatever it takes to keep things the way they were or not. I am not who I was 6 months ago. I'm glad.

3 comments:

Keith said...

official or de facto, they should learn it. I totally agree with you on this one too.

but it does make for some interesting conversations.

Me: "May I use your restroom?"
Her: "Oui"
Me: "No, I just need to wash my hands"

Ben said...

I think your observations on the nature of language and cultural, though leaning a little to the Wharfian, are certainly valid, and I believe that a study of microdialectology would enlighten the academic community as to the validity of such claims.

I'm a nerd. Sorry.

Chase said...

Language doesn't just define culture. It also defines facial structure. Why do all frenchmen look the same? Because they use the same muscles to speak. Try it sometime.