20 January 2007

Who wants to get hosed?

"After this storm, we'll be in a new ice age"
--Dennis "Freaking" Quaid, Day After Tomorrow


Oh look! What a surprise!

Well first of all, minus ten points for me for watching "Day After Tomorrow" on a Saturday night. As with any movie of this nature, it makes one think. Those in charge of said movie would have preferred that I thought about how I could be more environmentally aware and take steps to save nature [This is the part where I lift my shirt, pick at my belly button lint and spit some sort of loogie concoction off to the side]. I did however start thinking about cities in the movie-making business. The question is: What are the cities most often hosed in movies? I've got four big ones right off. New York City, Los Angeles, D.C. and Chicago. Why? It might be because they might be the largest and most important metropolitan areas that the U.S. has to offer. Think of any disaster movie and those four are probably most hounded upon by the forces of nature, comic book villains, Hillary Clinton, terrorists, corruption and let us not forget, aliens. Sweet!

Now, there are other cities that get their worlds rocked. I mean, who's not down with trashing the entirety of Florida. The bay area of California gets in on the action every now and again. The midwest has had a highlight or two *cough Twister*. But apparently I haven't heard much about the destruction of the Northwest namely Seattle and Portland. Why would that be? Oh yeah, there's nothing exciting about knocking off a bunch of liberalist hippies. They probably wouldn't notice due to the large percentage of weed still permeating the area. Okay so there might be a few riots here and there but, they'd probably be about saving the beached whales project or something useless like that.

We could even go across the world to see what other cities get destroyed in movies. No, let's go by countries instead. Japan gets hit a lot but does anyone care [i.e. Godzilla]? I think in the movie making business, we're more about trashing our own lands for entertainment. I guess there's some sort of appeal to it. Oh well....

PS- Oregon ended up dynamiting that beached whale.

2 comments:

Genuine Draft said...

Nobody in their right mind would be out at the beach in Oregon, whale or no whale -it's always 45 degrees and raining. But boring or not those hippies have it coming.

Keith said...

Why on earth anyone in their right mind would WANT to blow up a whale is beyond me. And I'll agree with Genuine. Beach? Oregon? That's like trying to get a tan in Alaska...