27 January 2006

ingredients to hairspray

"Hello legs!!"
--Mr. Knox, Batman


snotnose and mouth [the letters]

So that's what we called ourselves. Not always, but for the most part. But there is an envelope or two where the names are Snotnose and Mouth. I was also called ugly, farthead, Phil-y cheese sandwich, Hotstuff, cutie and a few others. Her name was Jami. We never met but we corresponded a lot. Through letters. Back when they cost just 33 cents a stamp. Those were good days. Ex:



I re-found her letters in my box of uncommon goodies a couple of nights ago. Ah, good times. We were pen pals back in the day. Two high school seniors just doing our own thing. She had met my sister and wrote me a letter. The first letter was much like this:

Dear Felipe,

Um... well, I know your sister and she told me to write. I tell you some about myself and whatnot. Smile big and feel free to write back.

Jami


I wrote back probably saying something to the effect of You know what? I'm cool with that. And thus followed a wonderful year pen-palmanship. We wrote about anything. Everything! Hating the school play, choir director and being the third or maybe fifth wheel. Loving Groundhog's Day, St. Patrick's Day and nearing graduated life. We also gave each other ingredients to hairspray and other non-un-anti-edible items. We had some of the best conversations ever!! She was freaking hilarious!! She even stated, "from the girl who gets to see the best side of you everyday." Making reference to the picture that she sent me that I stuck in my wallet. Is that voodoo? Oh well, I enjoyed it.

We didn't have to write about anything in particular. Just whatever we wanted. We liked each other. We enjoyed every letter. She was the best thing my senior year of high school.

3 comments:

Ben said...

Leaps, promise me you'll call me and we'll get drunk together over the phone upcoming 14th. Except maybe not drunk.

Julie said...

you used -manship!!! good job, you make me proud.

Julie said...

Stunning Archaelogical Find. hope you enjoy. it may take a few minutes to load but it is worth it.