13 February 2006

Negative Sleep

"Never fight with an inanimate object."
--P.J. O'Rourke


He doesn't look like Gloria Gaynor

What one can do with a video camera. I do wish sometimes that I had a personal video camera. And also a movie making program on some sort of CPU so that I could concoct horrible scripts and choreography and waste time making movies that probably only I would think were funny. I could be okay with that. This came about because the roommates and I made a music video for an otherwise pretty lame ward shin-dig. There's nothing like a choreographed goofing off in front of a camera. With little tid bits of improv what have you. I thoroughly enjoyed helping out with the editing. Dang it!! Now I want to do that all the time. But alas, cannot be done. I need a copy of that video.

Then sometimes I start thinking what my parents were like in college. Was my dad one of those guys who would go into someone's apartment and steal all there shoes? Or would my mom hide in someone's closet for an hour and a half? Maybe my dad would hide under some balloons or newspaper in a corner and jump out at some unsuspecting fool? Yeah, that would be cool. I have heard stories that a couple of my uncles would catch some birds, hide them in there coats, go to a movie theater and let them out in the middle of a flick. +10 points. Everyone to their own imaginations.

The art of eavesdropping

Little bit about myself; I'm not all that much of a talker. Sure, I have my moments but doesn't everybody. In any given conversation, more than likely I will be the one that says the least unless you prefer to be mute. However, I've developed somewhat of an eavesdropping skill. I've learned to listen well to normal conversation. Also, the way my sense of humor is wired, I tend to catch the most odd words and phrases. Let me tell you, it's a lot of fun to pick up only a portion of the conversation. Things don't make sense and that is where I find things most entertaining. There are even times where I don't want to know the entirety of the subject. I enjoy that.

A perfect example of this happened to me a few days ago. Just walking by an apartment and I hear a female mention something about an "unattractive feature" of her arms. I stopped in my tracks. This is reason number one that all windows and doors must be shut if you don't desire anyone to overhear you. I of course had to go over what I had just heard and savor every second of it. I then invited myself in and had a good chat with said girls about what I had just heard. A very entertaining conversation. Differing opinions of course but a highly enjoyable conversation nonetheless.

One other thing too. Only hearing one side of a phone conversation can be incredibly funny. To the one on the phone, everything makes sense but everyone else who might be in earshot of said phonetalker. Who knows what kind of ideas we conjure up. I'm really okay with this.

3 comments:

Krista said...

Oh, come on. Ours was great. Ask Dr. Jones. I saw that boy dancing all over the place. And both of you shimmying. But Tunak Tunak is wonderful lip synch material. Well, as far as lip synchs go.

Flops said...

true, i didn't give Tunak Tunak enough credit. he's a very happy man. other than that, i'd rather not say much else.

Ben said...

Negative sleep is right.