22 November 2005

Slow Down Grandma!!

"You'll let me know if anything exciting happens."--Grandma Sorensen

I am a firm believer that grandmas are allowed to say anything they want. You can't stop them, it's impossible!! Plus, they get away with it. However, I think I am able to see the inexplicable logistics of that. That's why I love Grandma. She'll say some pretty whack stuff and it's freaking hilarious. Story time:

Earlier this summer the roommates and I passed through the hometown [Manti, Utah] of my grandparents for a wedding. Of course I had to stop by the old Sorensen abode. There is absolutely no way not to be convinced into listening to at twelve billion stories and going out to the barn to see how far Grandpa is on the plane. Yeah, Grandpa is building a plane. My favorite story that Grandma told was the one about a turkey she raised not too long ago [per say] and that it hated her. It just happened to be the most onery turkey EVER!! They had a few spats, never agreed on anything and the stupid turkey pecked Grandma! Filthy turk!! So what does Grandma decide to do? Cut it's head off and cook it for dinner. I think she described it as the "toughest turkey dinner ever eaten." I think they racked a cumulative total of one billion points from the roommates. Rightfully so.

This past Saturday I went down again to Manti for an Eagle Court of Honor for my cousin, this time with Matsugi. We get to the place and I see and say hi to Uncle Kenny and the likes. We're invited to partake of some dessert type goodness and whilst doing that Grandma sneaks up from behind and jumps me.

Grandma: "Why haven't you given me a hug yet?"

Me: "Well, uh..."

Grandma: "Didn't you even look for us?"

Me: "Yes, I...."

Grandma: "Don't you even love us anymore?"

Me: "Grandma!!"

Yup, that's Grandma. Of course I was forgiven. She then proceeded to to say, "Matsugi, do you want to hear stories about Flops?" Matsugi consented and really, what could I do to stop them? Yeah...I know.

This time in Manti we got to walk around the Grandparents property. Checked out the plane in the barn, the pond in back and even the outhouse. The outhouse was quite impressive. Grandpa and Grandma thoroughly enjoyed a nice little visit. They go off on their stories and everything's all good. We get caught up on all the cousin gossip, listen rants on about lawyers [sorry you had to hear about that one Matsugi] and without fail Grandma says a few things that are completely absurd. One in particular where I think, wow, thanks for that implication. But the trip was much enjoyed and well worth it.

So nice to see some of the fam. Uncle Kenny had a few bad jokes, spoke Japanese to Matsugi and overall had a good time. But what made my night was the receival of Care Bears the Movie. Matsugi, I award you two billion points. You're great! And Grandma, you're really weird.

2 comments:

Ben said...

Wasn't it a rooster, and I'm sad about the Care Bears. But I am bringing home Tron.

Krista said...

I was worried I'd have to dredge up my first aid training the way you were making weird squeaky noises about the Care Bears movie. Glad you managed to get your lungs functioning, again.