27 July 2005

Dang! I have a girlfriend

"You cultural imperialists!!"--Dr. Jones

Wednesday, May 2nd of 2001, La Grande, Oregon. I find myself going to institute. I see a bunch of good friends that I haven't seen in awhile due to the fact that they've been away to college. Lesson is over and treats are served. While eating some cake and ice cream [always such a good combo] I end up talking to my good friend Ori Waite and she introduces me to one Amethyst Freeman. I dropped some ice cream next to the foot of said Amethyst and not too long afterward I head home slightly blushing.

Friday, May 4th of said 2001, Ori's house. I'm invited to a somewhat large get together at the Waites house. The usuals show up. Aria, Candace, Pam, Blaine, Amethyst and a few others including myself. We try a bonfire in the backyard. That happened to be a fiasco. However, during that time I got to talking to that one Amethyst. The conversation is quite good and lo and behold, we hit it off. So, by the end of the night, we get to holding hands. Everyone goes home. I'm a bit unsure what to think right now.

Sunday, May 6th once again in the year of 2001, Stake Conference. Talks were good. We heard from the local Mission President. I see Amethyst a little bit during. After the meeting, Amethyst and I hug, say a few things and we're off in our seperate ways. She's cute.

Wednesday, May 9th of the very same 2001, Provo, Utah. Having been set apart as a missionary the previous Sunday, I enter the MTC where I plan on learning spanish and spending nearly two years in southeast Mexico preaching the good word. Basic rule for the missionaries: girls no touchie!! Amehtyst and I write consistantly for two months. I find out her last name during this time. We have one fight. Through letters, yes that is possible, let me tell you!!

During the next year and about one half there were many letters and e-mails. We both found out a whole heap about one another. And I must say some of those letters made me blush [somewhat a lot]. I liked her and she liked me. Plus, that package was beautiful! I didn't know so many sweets could fit into that size container.

About August of the year 2002 the letters and emails stop coming. For some reason I didn't mind so much. Probably because I didn't know said Amethyst all that well having met her on three different occasions. Then follows January of 2003 in which I get the infamed "Dear John" letter where Amethyst tells me that she is getting hitchimified 11 days before I return to ye United States of America. She also tells me that it was okay if we still wrote to each other. I guess I was okay with that.

Not too long after the "Dear John" letter I emailed her and asked if I burn her letters and pictures for "traditions sake". Many of the missionaries often do this after they get dumped. I just wanted her permission to do so. I didn't get an email or letter back. So, I took my liberties. However, looking back, I wish I hadn't burnt them. Because they would have made great conversation pieces and also to see how mushy they were. Ah crap!! Well, everyone their own story.

1 comment:

Audrey Michal said...

congratulations. You accomplished what most people have not. You not only accidentally got a girl friend but proceded to keep her for a very long time. It's too bad you were so caught off guard; otherwise you might have enjoyed your amazing skills.